I AM PROUD TO BE AN IJEBU MAN/Woman. WHAT OF YOU? SOME AMAZING FACTS ABOUT IJEBU:
1. Ijebus were the first people to have had contact with the Europeans in the 14th century.
2. Ijebus were the first to be educated through
3. Ijebu is the largest Ethnic group in Nigeria.
4. First people to manufacture gears of wars in the history of Nigeria.
5. First people to contend the slavery extortion in the region.
6. The first people to invent money made from cowry shell, later made Coin called “PANDORO”, which became acceptable through Africa and Europe.
7. Ijebus were the first to settle in Lagos and Ibadan.
8. Ijebu is the only tribe in Nigeria that has its origin from the biblical days.
9. According to the Biblical account; the Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe who inhabited and built Jerusalem prior to its conquest by King David.
10. Ijebu was the first indigenous CLERK to
11. The European
Observers found them more intelligent than the other groups in Nigeria.
12. When Oduduwa was blind, Ijebu King (fifth Awujale) was the one to provide remedy to restore the sight.
13. Ijebu, known for sociality, integrity, and
14. Ijebu was the one to raise agitation for emancipation from colonialism.
15. Ijebu King (Orimolusi) was the second Oba
appointed by colonial master for the London
conference in 1957 to negotiate Independence.
16. Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the first individual in the modern era to be named Leader of the Yorubas (Asiwaju Omo Oodua)
17. The richest black woman in the world, Mrs Folorunsho Alakija, is an Ijebu woman from
Ikorodu Lagos (waterside Ijebu).
18. Ijebu man was the first Nigerian to play in the English premier league in early 60s.
18. Ijebu, famous with Egungun festival, Agemo festival, Ileya festival etc.
19. Mike Adenuga, an Ijebu man from Ijebu-Igbo, was the first
Nigerian to single handedly own Oil, Mining and Telecomunication (GLO).
20. Ijebu man, late Haruna Ishola was the first musician to perform outside the shores of Nigeria.
21. Ijebu man, Chief Shakirudeen Olarewaju Kazeem (Shokas) is the first Nigerian to own a housing estate (called Shokas Estate/Bobagunwa Castle) of about 40 mansions in Ijebu-Igbo.
22. Ijebu man, late Chief Kuti (Abusi Odumare) from Ijebu-Igbo was the first Nigerian to be banned from building further houses in Lagos having owned about 100 upstairs in Shomolu and Ebute Meta!
23. Also, an man, Chief Isamosta Ashiru from Ijebu-Igbo was banned from building further houses in Ibadan having owned 99% of houses on Ososami street, Ibadan (left and right)!
24. Ijebu man, late Chief Abayomi Adeyemi also from Ijebu-Igbo, was the first Nigerian contractor to built about seven housing estates of Federal Govt. He has about 60 personal houses in Lagos alone!
25. Waoh, a man of Ijebu origin was enthroned as Olubadan of Ibadanland!
26. An Ijebu woman (a potter), Bilikisu Sugbo was traced to the Biblical Queen of Sheba as wife to King Pharaoh!
27. Ijebu has a major farm settlement that generated hundreds of millions of naira through palm oil processing (Apoje Farm settlement in Ijebu-Igbo) for the government.
28. Ijebu has produced so many musical icons like Haruna Ishola (Ijebu-Igbo), Y.K. Ajadi (Ijebu-Igbo), Popular Jingo (Ijebu-Igbo), Batuli Alake (Ijebu-Igbo), K1 (Ijebu-Ode), Adewale Ayuba (Ikenne), Musiliu Haruna Ishola (Ijebu-Igbo), Kolade Onanuga (Ijebu-Ode), Salawa Abeni (Ijebu-Ode), Wale Thomson (Ijebu-Igbo), etc.
29. The first black man to publish an indigenous bible with dictionary and concordance was an ijebu man (Rev. Dr. Bazil Kayode Balogun ) from ijebu igbo. 30. The Doyen of Theatre, Late Chief Hubert Adedeji Ogunde was an Ijebu man from Ososa
31. Ijebu nation has more than 15 tertiary institutions which include OOU, TASUED, BABCOCK, HALLMARK, SOUTH-WEST, KINSTON (Universities), Grace, AAP, Gaposa, Oscotech, Pogil (Polytechnics), Tasce (Coll of Edu.), etc.
Do you know that Ijebu nation share one-third of entire Lagos state starting from Ikorodu to Ketu, Somolu, Palmgrove, Oshodi, Yaba, Epe, Ikeja, etc.
32. DewunmiLagos is from Ikenne, in Ogun state Ijebu Remo
What a great Nation!
The Regional capital is Ijebu Ode.
The Commercial capital is Sagamu
The Spiritual capital is Ijebu Igbo
ARE YOU PROUD TO BE ONE?
IF SO, LET’S HEAR YOUR STORY
Eenioluwa is from IKENNE in OGUN STATE IJEBU REMO